Thursday 18 May 2017

Думата, коята не можем да кажем/The word that we cannot say



                                                    Is изход.

                                                    Outside the National Theatre building again,
                                                     I’m doing my best to explain
                                                     how such things happen – that thought
                                                     which turned into a threat
                                                     and missed the point.

                                                     Not money, but my passport
                                                     burns a hole in my pocket.
                                                     It’s not at home here
                                                     and neither will I be
                                                     when we place ours over
                                                     these virtual readers
                                                     and it’s confirmed
                                                     that I belong to the database.

                                                     I’m thinking here, perhaps,
                                                     of walking back
                                                     to the apartment I let myself into –
                                                     the known walk to the lift,
                                                     the counted steps to the door,
                                                     the intimate geography
                                                     of where I'm living now
                                                     and the vase on the table
                                                     that holds these actual flowers.

Image: Marina Shiderova; text: Tom Phillips